The Senate says it will probe allegation levelled against the Ministry of Power that it spent $35 million on a project that was not appropriated for by the National Assembly.
This was sequel to a Point of Order raised by Sen. Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi) during Thursday plenary.
Melaye said the ministry was spending on a project tagged “fast power” meant to add power to national grid.
“Sometime last year, the Ministry of Power came up with the project it termed ‘’fast power.’’ The project is supposed to be for the building of new generating plants to add power to our grid.
“There are few questions I need to ask. Up till date, there is no detail on this new generating plant; there is no appropriation by National Assembly for this project.
The ministry has spent up to $35 million on the affirmed fast power project that has no appropriation or no detailed feasibility study.”
“Out of this money, $29 million was purportedly paid to General electric for turbine while $6 million was paid to others.
‘’This is a monumental fraud. We need the Senate to investigate this after moving a substantive motion,” he said.
After Melaye’s submission, the President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki asked Melaye to come with the motion by next Tuesday so that the lawmakers could look at his allegation critically.