✝️🔎TOPIC: NATIONAL IDENTITY
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 4:44-49(NKJV)
44. Now this [is] the law which Moses set before the children of Israel.
45. These [are] the testimonies, the statutes, and the judgments which Moses spoke to the children of Israel after they came out of Egypt,
46. on this side of the Jordan, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, in the land of Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt at Heshbon, whom Moses and the children of Israel defeated after they came out of Egypt.
47. And they took possession of his land and the land of Og king of Bashan, two kings of the Amorites, who [were] on this side of the Jordan, toward the rising of the sun,
48. from Aroer, which [is] on the bank of the River Arnon, even to Mount Sion (that is, Hermon),
49. and all the plain on the east side of the Jordan as far as the Sea of the Arabah, below the slopes of Pisgah.
Having come out of Egypt, there was need that Israel should be taught the laws, decrees and orders of their God. Israel is a unique Nation chosen by God among all the Nations of the earth; they had been in the midst of a nation that did not know their God. Again, they were surrounded by nations that served many gods. There was therefore the need that having come out and now in the Promised Land, their National history and identity should be introduced to them. Their culture and tradition should be clearly spelt out to them, for it is by this that they would relate with God, with one another and with other nations. Their identity – culture – is based on the laws of
God. It is pertinent to note that till today, the laws that guide Israel are the laws of God as written in the Scriptures.
As believers today, our identity is given by the word of God (Deut. 6:4; Mk. 12:29). Our culture, practices and traditions that mark us out as a people are based on the word of God (Ps. 119:105). Anywhere we are, in any part of the world, we should recognize this and live by it.
✝️🙏🏽PRAYER: Lord, teach us Your ways and give us grace to follow Your dictates in this nation in Jesus Name. Amen.