✝️🔎TOPIC: HEAR, LEARN AND OBSERVE
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 5:1-11(NKJV)
1. And Moses called all Israel, and said to them: “Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your hearing today, that you may learn them and be careful to observe them.
2. “The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
3. “The LORD did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who [are] here today, all of us who [are] alive.
4. “The LORD talked with you face to face on the mountain from the midst of the fire.
5. “I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the LORD; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up the mountain. [He] said:
6. ‘ I [am] the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
7. ‘ You shall have no other gods before Me.
8. ‘ You shall not make for yourself a carved image — any likeness [of anything] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth;
9. you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth [generations] of those who hate Me,
10. but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
11. ‘ You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold [him] guiltless who takes His name in vain.
In today’s passage, Moses spoke to all Israel as they were about to enter the Promised Land. He reminded them of the covenant they had with God at Horeb through the Ten Commandments: In verses 1-3, Moses drew their attention to the need to hear, learn and observe the commandments which were given to them and not their forefathers. He further reminded them about the mediatory part he played and how God delivered them from Egypt.
The new covenant believers must also hear, learn, observe and obey the whole word of God for our good. Jesus Christ is our Mediator in the New Covenant and has delivered us from the slavery of sin. Verses 8 11 state the first and second commandments which center on reverence for God. By implication, nothing should compete with God in our lives, be it money, power, carved images, technological gadgets, etc., because He is a jealous God. Note that obedience and disobedience to the commandments have their blessings and consequences
respectively to the third and fourth generations. Let us therefore choose to obey and be blessed with our generations.
✝️🙏🏽PRAYER: Lord, create a desire in me to hear, learn and observe your
word always in Jesus ‘Name. Amen.