✝️🔎TOPIC: CONSEQUENCES OF IDOLATRY
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 4:25-31(NKJV)
25. ” When you beget children and grandchildren and have grown old in the land, and act corruptly and make a carved image in the form of anything, and do evil in the sight of the LORD your God to provoke Him to anger,
26. “I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that you will soon utterly perish from the land which you cross over the Jordan to possess; you will not prolong [your] days in it, but will be utterly destroyed.
27. “And the LORD will scatter you among the peoples, and you will be left few in number among the nations where the LORD will drive you.
28. “And there you will serve gods, the work of men’s hands, wood and stone, which neither see nor hear nor eat nor smell.
29. “But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find [Him] if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.
30. “When you are in distress, and all these things come upon you in the latter days, when you turn to the LORD your God and obey His voice
31. ‘(for the LORD your God [is] a merciful God), He will not forsake you nor destroy you, nor forget the covenant of your fathers which He swore to them.
Joys can quickly be cut short and turned into sorrow when people persist in idolatry. Imagine the pains, frustrations and sorrows it could cause after long years of journey through the wilderness, and finally crossing Jordan to the Promised Land only to perish there (v. 26). “I call heaven and earth as witness against you that you will quickly perish from the Land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess. You will not live there long but will certainly be destroyed.” This prophecy in this text certainly haunted those Israelites who were carried away years later into the Assyrian and Babylonian captivities. There was however an encouragement that if they returned to God, He (God) would still receive them because of His covenant with their forefathers.
Many of God’s children are suffering because of diverse kinds of idolatry (Col. 3:5). Many of our church members are persisting in various forms of idolatry embedded in many cultural and traditional practices (4:5). In other instances, information technology gadgets, businesses, games, etc., have been allowed to take over our personal altars with God. There is a call to return to God in totality and serve Him only. Let us rid ourselves of every form of idolatry and devote ourselves only to the Lord. He will heal and restore us.
✝️🙏🏽PRAYER: Merciful Lord, deliver us from idolatry.