✝️🔎TOPIC: WATCH WHERE YOU WORSHIP
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 12:13-28(NKJV)
13. “Take heed to yourself that you do not offer your burnt offerings in every place that you see;
14. “but in the place which the LORD chooses, in one of your tribes, there you shall offer your burnt offerings, and there you shall do all that I command you.
15. ” However, you may slaughter and eat meat within all your gates, whatever your heart desires, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you; the unclean and the clean may eat of it, of the gazelle and the deer alike.
16. “Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it on the earth like water.
17. “You may not eat within your gates the tithe of your grain or your new wine or your oil, of the firstborn of your herd or your flock, of any of your offerings which you vow, of your freewill offerings, or of the heave offering of your hand.
18. “But you must eat them before the LORD your God in the place which the LORD your God chooses, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, and the Levite who [is] within your gates; and you shall rejoice before the LORD your God in all to which you put your hands.
19. “Take heed to yourself that you do not forsake the Levite as long as you live in your land.
20. ” When the LORD our God enlarges your border as He has promised you, and you say, ‘Let me eat meat,’ because you long to eat meat, you may eat as much meat as your heart desires.
21. “If the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, then you may slaughter from your herd and from your flock which the LORD has given you, just as I have commanded you, and you may eat within your gates as much as your heart desires.
22. “Just as the gazelle and the deer are eaten, so you may eat them; the unclean and the clean alike may eat them.
23. “Only be sure that you do not eat the blood, for the blood [is] the life; you may not eat the life with the meat.
24. “You shall not eat it; you shall pour it on the earth like water.
25. “You shall not eat it, that it may go well with you and your children after you, when you do [what is] right in the sight of the LORD.
26. “Only the holy things which you have, and your vowed offerings, you shall take and go to the place which the LORD chooses.
27. “And you shall offer your burnt offerings, the meat and the blood, on the altar of the LORD your God; and the blood of your sacrifices shall be poured out on the altar of the LORD your God, and you shall eat the meat.
28. “Observe and obey all these words which I command you, that it may go well with you and your children after you forever, when you do [what is] good and right in the sight of the LORD your God.
As a follow up to yesterday’s meditation, Moses listed to the Israelites, what true worship entails as commanded by God. They must not worship anywhere or anyhow but must worship and offer their burnt offerings in a place chosen by God (vv. 13 – 14). In other words, they were to carry out their corporate spiritual activities in such a place dedicated for that purpose.
This is a clear warning to Christians today. Although it is true that the concept of “Ecclesia ” refers primarily to the people and not the place of worship, it is also important to remember that God desires to have His people worship Him in hallowed and dedicated places. As Christians, we must watch where we worship and under which shepherd. This is necessary for our spiritual health. The Israelites were admonished not to eat blood (v.25); blood is the emblem of life. The lsraelites were to offer it to God as a means of atonement for their sins. However, the blood of Jesus, shed on the cross at Calvary had made atonement for our sins once and for all. There is no more sacrifice for sin. (Heb. 9:12-14; 10:4; 10-12). No one can become a member of God’s Church except by the cleansing of the blood of Jesus Christ from sin. When forgiven sinners (saints) gather to worship and particularly in a place dedicated to God, there will be an expression of God’s glory. Learn to worship God in the beauty of his holiness.
✝️🙏🏽PRAYER: Oh Lord help us to worship you in spirit and in truth in Jesus’ name. Amen.