✝️🔎TOPIC: SEEKING JESUS
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: John 1:35-42(NKJV)
35. Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples.
36. And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, “Behold the Lamb of God!”
37. The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.
38. Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, “What do you seek?” They said to Him, “Rabbi” (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), “where are You staying?”
39. He said to them, “Come and see.” They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour).
40. One of the two who heard John [speak,] and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother.
41. He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated, the Christ).
42. And he brought him to Jesus. Now when Jesus looked at him, He said, “You are Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas” (which is translated, A Stone).
John the Baptist continues to point his own followers to Jesus, ‘the Lamb of God.’ On this occasion, Andrew and an unnamed man come to Him and he turns and starts a conversation with them. Having experienced the attraction of Jesus, Andrew went and informed his brother Simon Peter. As soon as Simon encountered Jesus directly, his name was changed to Cephas (Aramaic for Peter meaning stone). What a radical encounter. Jesus must have chosen such a name to show that Peter would be a formidable force inministry.
The question Jesus asked is instructive for us; “what do you seek? It is a call for us to evaluate our motives and commitment to Jesus (John 6.25ff). Some people come to Jesus for different selfish motives. Jesus sees and knows the best for us, all we need to do is draw near to Him and He will put us in our rightful place in God’s agenda and plan for our lives.
✝️🙏🏽PRAYER: Lord Jesus, may I seek You daily, find You, follow You and lead others to You. Amen.