The Church Of Nigeria ( Anglican Communion) during its Episcopal Synod held at St. Peter’s Chape at Ibru International Ecumenical Centre, Agbara Otor in Delta State elected six new bishops and translated one fill the vacancies in various dioceses which the current bishops are either retiring or had retired.
Sources at the Episcopal Synod listed names to ACNN as follows:
- Venerable Foluso Taiwo, who is currently the Director of Communication, Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion and the Vicar at Church of the Holy Cross, Wuye District, Abuja. The Ven. Foluso Taiwo is a notable broadcaster, who started his media career since as far back as 1980 at Radio Nigeria, Ibadan, as a freelance journalist and Newscaster before he was fully employed as a Reporter/Editor/Newscaster and HOA correspondent under the Television Service of Oyo State (TSOS). He grew in his field working in several media outfits such as Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State (BCOS), Osun State Broadcasting Corporation (OSBC) before he was transferred to Abuja to continue his pastoral ministry. Though he served as a Canon and Archdeacon of the Diocese of Abuja, he remained a media practitioner and was soon made the general manager of Crowther Radio Station; from where he became the Director of Communication and later a newscaster at the Anglican Cable Network Nigeria (ACNN TV).
2.The Ven. Ndubuisi Obi is the Bishop-elect for Nnewi Diocese. He is from Nnewichi, Nnewi and is a Venerable at St. Augustine’s Anglican Church, Federal Housing Estate 3-3, Onitsha in the Diocese on the Niger. He is to replace Archbishop Godwin Okpala.
3. The Ven. Seyi Pirisola is the Bishop-elect for the Diocese on the coast. He currently serves at All Soul’s Anglican Church, Lekki in the Diocese of Lagos. He is to replace the late Bishop Ebunoluwa Ogunele.
4. The Very Rev. Benjamin C. Okeke JP is the Bishop-elect for Orlu Diocese. He currently serves at Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Amaigbo in the Diocese of Orlu. He is married to Mrs. Uloma Okeke JP, the Coordinator Prayer Healing and Deliverance Unit in Orlu Diocese. He is to replace Archbishop Benneth Okoro (PhD).
5. The Ven. Dr Olugbenga Babatunji from Remo Diocese is the Bishop-elect for the Diocese of Osun. He currently serves at St. John’s Church, Iyoku Sagamu in the Diocese of Remo. He is to replace Bishop Afolabi Popoola.
6. The Ven. Geoffrey Ibeabuchi is the Bishop-elect for the Diocese of Umuahia. He currently serves at St. Silas Anglican Church, Old Umuahia in the Diocese of Umuahia. He is to replace Archbishop Ikechi Nwosu.
7. The Rt. Rev. Jacob Bada, current Bishop of the Diocese of Etsako has been translated to the Diocese of Akoko in Ondo State. He is to replace Archbishop Gabriel Akinbiyi.
We thank God for and congratulate these new soldiers of the Cross- the Bishop-elects. Praying that they will be principled leaders and faithful servants to Lord and to his Church under the authority of scripture.
Let’s wish them well and pray for them.
More details on the Consecration day will be communicated soon…..