The Most Rev’d. Henry Ndukuba, Primate of All Nigeria, Anglican Communion, has urged fathers to lead and discharge spiritual responsibility at home in order to grow their families in the path of God.
In his special father’s day message on ACNNTV to mark the 2023 Father’s Day Celebration with the theme “Transformed Fathers:Transformed Families”, the Primate urged fathers to live exemplary lives for the wife and children to emulate. He said some fathers had relegated the responsibility of ensuring the spiritual well being of their family to the mothers contrary to the teachings of the Bible.
Archbishop Ndukuba took the text for the message from Romans 12: 1-2, the scripture says therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:1- 2, NIV).
“This passage tells us that because of God’s compassion, we should present, show, or provide our bodies that are holy-set apart-for God (Romans 12:1).” When Paul calls us to present ourselves as living sacrifices, he is not speaking of just our physical bodies alone, but rather the whole person: body, soul, and spirit. We are to present our whole person to God as a living sacrifice. We are not to hold anything back.
He said it was the responsibility of fathers to transmit the word of God to their families. That is what the Bible says and expects from fathers. “We have prayerfully chosen the theme for this year’s fathers day “Transformed Fathers:Transformed Homes” , this theme emphasizes the connection between a person’s inner most transformation of their external environment specifically their homes. “The idea is that when a person experiences positive change within themselves, such as a change in attitude, behavior, or perspective, it can lead to a corresponding change in their home environment. ” This can manifest in many ways, such as increased cleanliness, organisation and harmony within the homes”, he said. The Primate further noted that fathers play a crucial role in society and their importance cannot be overstated. Here are some reasons why:
- Providing emotional support: Fathers play a critical role in providing emotional support to their children. They help build their children’s self-esteem, confidence, and resilience, which are essential for success in life.
- Being a role model: Fathers are role models, and their behaviour and actions can have a significant impact on their children’s attitudes and behaviour. They teach their children values, ethics, and morals, and help them develop a sense of responsibility and accountability.
- Supporting the family financially: Fathers are often the breadwinners of the family, and their financial support is essential for the family’s well-being. They provide financial stability, which helps reduce stress and anxiety within the family.
- Encouraging education: Fathers encourage their children to pursue education and help them navigate the challenges and opportunities that come with it. They also provide guidance on career choices and help their children develop the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in their chosen field.
- Fostering healthy relationships: Fathers play a critical role in fostering healthy relationships within the family. They help create a positive family environment by promoting communication, respect, and understanding among family members.
- Spiritual Leadership: fathers provide spiritual leadership to the family. They teach the word of God, lead in prayer, provide faithful leadership that help family to follow God and be nurtured spiritually.
He concluded by adding that the role of a father the 21st century is characterized by active involvement, emotional connection, shared responsibility, and the promotion of positive values.
Korede Akintunde, CoN Communication Officer. Enquirires: email@example.com