✝️🔎TOPIC: TRUE RICHES OF THE KINGDOM 1
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: MATTHEW 19:16-30(NKJV)
16. Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17. So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one [is] good but One, [that is,] God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18. He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, ” ‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19. ‘Honor your father and [your] mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”
20. The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”
21. Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
23. Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24. “And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
25. When His disciples heard [it,] they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”
26. But Jesus looked at [them] and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
27. Then Peter answered and said to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?”
28. So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29. “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
30. “But many [who are] first will be last, and the last first.
In today’s text, it is profound and spiritually instructive that the rich young ruler asked Jesus: What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? His inquiry was sharp and direct. The young ruler was obsessed with earthly possession and wanted to earn eternal life on his own terms. Jesus started from the commandments, then his own narrowed it down to the real impediments – His possessions. Jesus gave a shocking response – sell all your possessions and follow me. That grieved him and he went away sorrowful. The disciples must have overheard the discussion. Peter, on their behalf asked Jesus: We have left all and followed you, therefore, what shall we have? Jesus assured them that whatever they had forfeited would be bountifully restored.
Following Jesus is a costly vocation. It calls for daily self- denial. Any man who truly follows Jesus will gain eternal life. Eternal life is available to all – poor and rich alike. It depends on a man’s choice. If anyone puts God first before riches, he makes heaven. Seek the true possession of the kingdom of God and his righteousness and every other thing will be added to you.
✝️🙏🏽PRAYER: Help me to put You first in my life, in every situation I find myself. Amen.