✝️🔎TOPIC: JESUS CLEANSES THE TEMPLE
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: JOHN 2:13-25(NKJV)
13. Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
14. And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the moneychangers doing business.
15. When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables.
16. And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!”
17. Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up.”
18. So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?”
19. Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
20. Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
21. But He was speaking of the temple of His body.
22. Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.
23. Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did.
24. But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all [men,]
25. and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man.
Jesus and His disciples went to Jerusalem for the Passover feast. Jesus was shocked and displeased to see that the temple had been converted to a market place. Money changers were conducting their business and others were selling animals usually used for sacrifices. Jesus immediately made a whip and began to chase them out of the temple and overturned their tables. He was angry at the dishonest and greedy practices of the merchants and money changers. By this practice, they had defiled God’s temple.
The house of God must always be considered sacred an treated as such. Many use the house of God and the name of God for business; even the so called ‘men of God’ use subtle and ungodly means to raise funds in the house of God. The house of God should be a place of prayer and worship. Let us always seek first the
kingdom of God and all the funds we need to build the physical structures will be granted us.
O Lord, help me to have genuine and unflinching zeal and respect for Your kingdom. Amen.