Christians of Northern extraction in the APC said they can no longer campaign for the party’s presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu because of his choice of a Muslim running mate.
They made this position known in a communiqué issued to journalists, on Tuesday, following an emergency meeting in Abuja where the issue of the religious coloration of the APC’s presidential ticket and its implication for the nation was on the front burner.
According to the communiqué jointly signed by Prof. Doknan Sheni (Chairman) and General Ishaya Bauka (Secretary), the group explained that Tinubu’s selection of a Muslim running mate had exasperated the Christians in the North, and portrayed the APC as a party that is insensitive to their yearnings.
It warned that if the selection of Senator Kashim Shettima as the party’s vice-presidential resident candidate is not reversed before July 15, there would be serious and grave consequences.
The communique reads: “The Christian politicians in the 19 Northern states within APC met in Abuja to deliberate on the issue of the party’s Muslim – Muslim president and vice president candidates and the implications for the nation.
“The meeting decided as follows: that as Christians within APC, we cannot in all fairness to our consciences and our faith go to our various constituencies to campaign for a Muslim – Muslim ticket.
“Nigeria is a multi-religious and constitutional democracy and NOT a theocracy. The current political atmosphere of the nation is different from what occurred in 1993 and therefore a Muslim Muslim ticket is unacceptable.
“The selection of a Moslem vice-presidential candidate portrayed insensitivity to the Christians in the Nation
“The fear of the Christians in the North and the nation, in general, is that the APC will be viewed as an Islamic party and that the Muslim – Muslim ticket was not possible in 2015, why should it be possible in 2023?
Asked about the way forward, he stressed: “We have three days to go. And the way forward is for the APC presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu to act between now and Friday. If they cannot act, we will meet and take another decision.”