The Immanuel College of Theology, Samonda, Ibadan, Oyo State, has disowned one arrested drug suspect, Udezuka Udoka, as widely reported by the media on Sunday.
Udoka is one of the drug suspects arrested last Saturday, along with a General Overseer of a Lagos-based church, High Priest Nnodu Azuka Kenrick and Oyoyo Mary Obasi.
The three were arrested by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for alleged attempt to export methamphetamine and skunk consignments to Dubai, the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
As contained in a release by the NDLEA Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babalola, Udoka claimed that he was paid the sum of N2million for his role in the drug deal.
He further claimed in the release that he was involved in the illegal drug deal because he needed the money for his education.
However, the Board of Governors and the Faculty members of Immanuel College, in a disclaimer, dated 13 February, 2023 and made available to ACNNTV, stated that Udoka was not a student of the Seminary which is co-owned by the Anglican Church and the Methodist Church of Nigeria.
This disclaimer was entitled “Immanuel College of Theology, Samonda, Ibadan Discards The Claims of Udezuka Udoka As Its Student”.
It was jointly signed by Ven. Dr. Ola Oyewole, Ven. Dr. Isaac Olukayode Oyeneye, The Rt. Revd. Dr. Cornelius O. Adagbada and Very Rev. Dr. Joseph D. Ayodele.
The joint signatories are the Registrar, Dean, Chairman, Governing Board and Sub-Dean/Secretary, Governing Board, respectively of the College.
The Immanuel College, in the disclaimer, admitted that it was true that Udezuka Udoka was once a student of the College, but his studentship terminated in June, 2022.
It, however, further clarified that the drug suspect was, indeed, gained admission into the College in 2018 with Matriculation Number ICBT/2018/3829.
It stated that, though Udoka completed his ministerial training in June, 2022, but he was not ordained as a priest in July, 2022 because of his character deficit.
The College called on the public to disregard the spurious claims of Udezuka Udoka that he is a current student of Immanuel College of Theology and Christian Education, Ibadan.
DISCLAIMER: IMMANUEL COLLEGE OF THEOLOGY, SAMONDA, IBADAN
DISCARDS THE CLAIMS OF UDEZUKA UDOKA AS ITS STUDENT
The attention of the Board of Governors and the Faculty members of Immanuel College of Theology and Christian Education, Samonda, Ibadan have been drawn to some publications circulating in the print, electronic and social media of Sunday, the 12th day of February, 2023, that one Udezuka Udoka arrested along with High Priest Nnodu Azuka Kenrick and Oyoyo Mary Obasi by the National Drug Law and Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Lagos made a confession and claimed to be a Student of Immanuel College of Theology and Christian Education, Samonda, Ibadan, having been caught with parcels of illicit drugs (contraband) with a confession that he intends to use the proceeds accrued from the drug to offset his school fees.
It is important to make the following clarifications:
- That Udezuka Udoka who gained admission into the College in 2018 with Matriculation Number ICBT/2018/3829 was once a Student of the College whose Studentship terminated in June 2022.
- That the said Udezuka Udoka completed his ministerial training in June 2022 and was to be ordained as a priest in July 2022 after his ministerial training, but he was not ordained because of his character deficit as portrayed in the recommendation of the College to the Church prior to the completion of his programme in June 2022.
- That any trainee of our College spends four years after which he ceases to be a bonafide Student and that Udezuka Udoka had left the College in June, 2022 and that as at 12th February, 2023, he is no longer a Student of the College.
- That it was stated in the publication that he confessed to be seeking for money to pay his school fees in the College. This is untrue and grossly incorrect because during the period of his studentship, that is, between 2018 and 2022, he was a special candidate and his brother in partnership with his Diocese were solely responsible for his tuition.
- That while he was a Student, he was found to be complacent and impervious to corrections, an attitude that spurred the Faculty to report him to his Diocesan on a number of occasions which ultimately hindered his Ordination in 2022 (The recommendation issued against his candidature in April, 2022 bears eloquent testimony about this).
- As a Seminary that trains for the Church and build reputation, every effort was made by the College in partnership with his Bishop to see to his amendment of life, which unfortunately proved abortive.
Consequent upon this, Immanuel College of Theology and Christian Education, Samonda, Ibadan both teaching and governing agencies hereby repudiate the claims made against the College by Udezuka Udoka and his confession a colossal damage to the College’s reputation built over six decades.
We therefore call on the public to disregard the spurious claims of Udezuka Udoka that he is a current Student of Immanuel College of Theology and Christian Education, Ibadan. We need to make it clear that the Immanuel College of Theology is a towering Seminary where seasoned ministers are being trained with unequal pedigree.
Dated this 13th Day of February 2023