✝️🔎TOPIC: THE BIRTH AND CIRCUMCISION OF JOHN THE BAPTIST
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: LUKE 1:57-80(NKJV)
57. Now Elizabeth’s full time came for her to be delivered, and she brought forth a son.
58. When her neighbors and relatives heard how the Lord had shown great mercy to her, they rejoiced with her.
59. So it was, on the eighth day, that they came to circumcise the child; and they would have called him by the name of his father, Zacharias.
60. His mother answered and said, “No; he shall be called John.”
61. But they said to her, “There is no one among your relatives who is called by this name.”
62. So they made signs to his father — what he would have him called.
63. And he asked for a writing tablet, and wrote, saying, “His name is John.” So they all marveled.
64. Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue [loosed,] and he spoke, praising God.
65. Then fear came on all who dwelt around them; and all these sayings were discussed throughout all the hill country of Judea.
66. And all those who heard [them] kept [them] in their hearts, saying, “What kind of child will this be?” And the hand of the Lord was with him.
67. Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying:
68. “Blessed [is] the Lord God of Israel, For He has visited and redeemed His people,
69. And has raised up a horn of salvation for us In the house of His servant David,
70. As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets, Who [have been] since the world began,
71. That we should be saved from our enemies And from the hand of all who hate us,
72. To perform the mercy [promised] to our fathers And to remember His holy covenant,
73. The oath which He swore to our father Abraham:
74. To grant us that we, Being delivered from the hand of our enemies, Might serve Him without fear,
75. In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.
76. “And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Highest; For you will go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways,
77. To give knowledge of salvation to His people By the remission of their sins,
78. Through the tender mercy of our God, With which the Dayspring from on high has visited us;
79. To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, To guide our feet into the way of peace.”
80. So the child grew and became strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his manifestation to Israel.
The birth of John the Baptist brought great joy to the family and neighborhood. mainly because the mother had him at old age as prophesied to his father. At his naming, eight days after, the people would have named him Zachariah, after his father but for Elizabeth’s blunt refusal because of the prophecy concerning his birth. A name is what distinguishes one from another. Names are very important and powerful, so much so that they can affect a man’s destiny either for good or bad. In John’s case, the name was given by the angel Gabriel and that was why the mother vehemently refused that he should be called Zachariah – the name of his father. Zachariah was invited and he confirmed the name in writing. He wrote “His name is John”, and suddenly recovered his speech Bursting into prophecy, he gave us the praise chant called Benedictus’ (vv. 68-79), which has two parts: (a) The fulfillment of the promise of redemption in the gift of Christ Jesus (60-75, 78-79). and (b) Ministry of John the Baptist (76-77).
In the scriptures, God had to change some people’s names before they could step into the fullness of their purpose and divine mandate (Abram to Abraham, Sarai to Sarah, Jacob to Israel). It is possible that people may have wrongly named you because of your background and present challenges; you must reject names that do not align with your faith or with what God calls you in His word. This is because you are the apple of God’s eye. a royal priesthood, a holy nation, blessed beyond curse, the seed of Abraham, holy wonderfully and fearfully made.
Lord I dissociate myself and family from the effect of every negative name. Amen.