✝️🔎TOPIC: JOHN BEARS WITNESS ABOUT JESUS
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: JOHN 1:19-28(NKJV)
19. Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?”
20. He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.”
21. And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.”
22. Then they said to him, “Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?”
23. He said: “I [am] ‘The voice of one crying in the wilderness: “Make straight the way of the LORD,” ‘ as the prophet Isaiah said.”
24. Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees.
25. And they asked him, saying, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?”
26. John answered them, saying, “I baptize with water, but there stands One among you whom you do not know.
27. “It is He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose.”
28. These things were done in Bethabara beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
John the Baptist was gradually becoming popular and could have claimed to be the Messiah but he remained committed to turning the people’s attention to the One whose sandal strap he was unworthy to untie. The Jews sent priests and Levites to John the Baptist to ascertain if he was the Christ. He however made it clear that his ministry was that of a servant, announcing the arrival of his Master, and preparing the people to receive Him. In verse 23, John applied the prophecy of Isaiah 40.3 to his own ministry of calling people to repent in preparation for the coming of the Messiah.
The disposition of our hearts as witnesses should be that of humility. When we truly understand who Christ is, our pride and self-importance will melt away. This call should remind us that we all have our callings and ministry to fulfil and like John; we should not allow people distract us from what God has called us to do. In our daily lives, in our homes, places of work and in the Church, we are to witness for Christ and bring people to Him.
✝️🙏🏽PRAYER: Thank you Almighty God, for sending John the Baptist as a witness for Christ. Help us to emulate his spirit of dedication and humility. Amen.