Governor Abdulahi Ganduje of Kano State has accused the Federal Government through the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, of abandonment in the face of its efforts at combating the spread of the dreaded disease.
Ganduje made the accusation in an interview with the BBC Hausa Service on Monday.
He said: “We are in a serious problem. I can tell you the situation is really bad and scary. Because what we solely rely upon in fighting the disease is the testing centre.
“There is also a shortage of sample collection equipment. It is not common equipment that you can go and buy in the market. Those whose samples were collected are still waiting to know their fate.
“The problem (is) with the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19. Even its Director-General was in Kano. He spent a night here but we have not heard from him again. The Minister of Health is also aware that the laboratory is not functioning.
“There is a serious problem. We have been complaining that Kano needs more than one testing centre, right from the beginning of this (pandemic).”
Responding to questions on whether the state was getting any support from the Federal Government, Ganduje said: “Sincerely speaking, we are not getting deserved attention. If these equipment (testing centres) are under our control, we will do our best to make sure it works properly. But we are not getting the needed support and co-operation from the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.”
Kano State has been in the news lately over the alleged lack lustre response of the state government to the COVID-19 pandemic and recent spike in deaths in the state.
The state currently has 77 confirmed cases of the disease, and the only laboratory in the state had been shut down after it was contaminated when some staff of the centre tested positive for the virus.
The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire however said on Sunday that the laboratory will resume work on Monday (Today).