These 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers will make your Monday morning.
1. 86 new cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria; total now 627
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) Sunday night confirmed 86 new cases of COVID-19 in the country. With these new discoveries, the number of people infected by coronavirus in Nigeria so far is now 627.
2. COVID-19: Normalcy will soon return to nations —Adeboye
The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Pastor Enoch Adeboye, said on Sunday normalcy would soon return to nations after the COVID-19 pandemic and urged Nigerians to keep hope alive. Adeboye stated this during an online service shown on the Dove Television.
3. COVID-19: No policy banning release of dead patients’ remains to family —Lagos Govt
The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, said on Sunday there was no policy that banned the release of the corpse of any dead COVID-19 patient to the family.
4. Why I sacked my commissioner —Ganduje
Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, on Sunday, explained why he sacked the state Commissioner for Works and Infrastructural Development, Mu’azu Magaji. The governor sacked Magaji on Saturday for allegedly celebrating the death of the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, on his Facebook page.
5. WHO official tests positive for COVID-19 in Bauchi
An official of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has tested positive for coronavirus in Bauchi State. The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Aliyu Maigoro, confirmed this in a statement issued by the Information Officer, Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Ibrahim Sani.
6. Buhari charges security agents to go after bandits following Katsina attacks
President Muhammadu Buhari Sunday condemned the latest attacks by bandits in three local government areas of Katsina State. At least 47 persons were killed by the hoodlums in the early morning attacks on the affected LGAs.
7. Oyo discharges 2 COVID-19 patients
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, said on Sunday two COVID-19 patients had been discharged from the state isolation centre after they tested negative for the disease.
8. COVID-19: PDP demands suspension of ATM, mobile transfer charges
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Sunday called for the suspension of charges on the Automated Teller Machine (ATM) cards and low amount mobile fund transfers during the COVID-19 lockdown.
9. NCDC boss praises Wike for his ‘’firm, strong, committed’ leadership in COVID-19 fight
The Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, said on Sunday no country or state could fight the dreaded coronavirus alone. Ihekweazu, who made this remark during a meeting between the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, and officials of the centre at the Government House in Port Harcourt, said the unique nature of the virus required all stakeholders to work in unity.
10. Edo govt imposes 10-day curfew on state over COVID-19
Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, on Sunday, imposed a 10-day dusk-to-dawn curfew on the state effective Monday.