The Venerable (now Bishop-elect) Ifedola Senasu Gabriel Okupevi was born on January 17, 1963, So, the Anglican Priest clocked the Diamond age of 60 and was welcomed into the Sexagenerian Club on January 17, 2023. He hails from Ajido in the historical Badagry town of Lagos State.
The call and anointing in the Anglican Communion must rest upon a solid intellectual foundation. Therefore, it is not out of order for Ifedola, (the Diocesan Bishop-Elect of Lagos), to find a Diploma in Theology from Immanuel College of Theology (Ibadan) insufficient.
He earned a Bachelor’s and Masters of Arts degrees in Christian Religious Studies from the Lagos State University due to his genuine thirst for knowledge and intellectual advancement. The Archdeacon-turned-Bishop is on the verge of receiving his doctoral scroll from the same institution (LASU) that is currently ranked as the Best State University in Nigeria as of the time of putting this profile together.
Beginning his rise to the top in the liturgical assignment, Ifedola Okupevi was ordained a Deacon at the young age of 25 on 26th June 1988 at Archbishop Vining Memorial Church Cathedral, Ikeja, Lagos, and was later ordained (a priest) on 25th June 1989 at Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Mushin, Lagos.
His long list of ministerial postings on the special calling and layers of responsibility include:
- St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Igborosun, Badagry (1988-1992) as Vicar
- St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Igboye, Epe (January-June 1992) as Vicar
- Our Saviour’s. Oto Awori, (June-August 1992) as Vicar
- St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Isashi, (August 1992-1994) as Vicar
- All Saints’ Church Agbara, (1994-1996) as Vicar
- St Michael’s Church Ojo (1996-1998) as Curate
- St. Andrew’s Anglican Church Aiyetoro, Apapa (1998-2002) as Vicar
- Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos (2002-2007) as Canon Residentiary
- Church of the Resurrection, 1004 Estate, V/I (2007-2019) as Vicar and Archdeacon of V/I Archdeaconry
- Our Saviours’ Church TBS (2019-2023) as Vicar and Archdeacon of Ikoyi Archdeaconry.
He has held several posts in the past and still holds some at the moment namely;
- – Canon Residentiary: Cathedral Church of Christ Marina (2002-2007)
- – Associate Director: Directorate of Mission, Evangelism and Discipleship (2002-2004)
- – Chairman: Cathedral Church of Christ Social Welfare Unit (2002-2007)
- – Director: Lagos Diocesan Youth Directorate (2004-2015)
- – Programme Director: Ecclesiastical Province of Lagos Clergy Conference (2022 till date)
- – Member: Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion (CON) Joshua Generation Fund Raising Committee (2022 till date)
- – Registrar: Clergy School (2004 till date)
- – Co-ordinator: Clergy Retreat and Training (2004 till date)
- – Lecturer of Evangelism, Christian Spirituality, Christian Theology and Homiletics: Archbishop Adetiloye Theological Seminary – formerly known as Lagos Anglican Seminary, (2003 till Date)
His achievements include the Establishment of Churches and Other Infrastructure such as:
- – Church of Transfiguration, Ketu (Lagos West)
- – All Saints’ Ojo Road (Apapa Archdeaconry)
- – Anglican Church of the Living Souls, Oniru (V/I Archdeaconry)
- – Anglican Church of Praise, Lekki (Lekki Archdeaconry)
- – St. Andrew’s Church, Aiyetoro (Vicarage, Hall and Boy’s Quarters)
- – Church of the Resurrection, 1004 Estate, (Church, Vicarage, Multipurpose Hall and Creche)
- – Archbishop Adetiloye Comprehensive College (formerly Lagos Diocesan Multipurpose Complex), Igboye, Epe
The scholarly cleric is the author of Christian Spirituality (2011) and Rule Your World With Prayer (2018).
Over time, he developed interfaith and ecumenical relations with other religious communities such as: the Christian Council of Nigeria (CCN) where he fostered dialogue, promoting understanding and seeking common ground.
He is married to Mrs Modupe Okupevi, who is also a cerebral human material, currently an Assistant Director of Education. (B.Ed. Biology and Integrated Science). They both savour the bliss of having a fruitful marriage to God’s glory.
For hobbies, Okupevi enjoys Praying and Meditating, Reading Inspirational and Church History Books, and spending quality time with family. The Lagos Diocesan Bishop-Elect is also very much at home with peasant farming.
He has been involved in some reputable global engagements such as GAFCON, Kenya. Among the Bishop elect’s highlights of the vision for his new role in the diocese is to ascertain spiritual growth, community transformation, and fostering a welcoming and inclusive church environment to as many as are ready to key into the vision.