It is not yet Uhuru at the University of Lagos over the purported removal of the Vice Chancellor Prof Oluwatorin Temitayo Ogundipe as the Unilag Senate convened an emergency meeting.
And as the meeting was ongoing a demonstration comprising representatives of all unions ASUU, SANU, NASU etc. is on going now on campus to show solidarity with VC Ogundipe
Newsmen at the scene reported that the emergency meeting started by 8.30 am and passed resolutions as follows
1. That they recognise Prof Ogundipe as their VC and have confidence in his leadership
2. That the purported sack of VC Ogundipe is not rooted in law or the university statues. While the laws says a VC can be removed by Council for acts of misconduct, the following due process must be followed
A. Council receives reports of wrongdoing
B. Council shall inform Senate of same and request Senate to elect 2 representatives of a 5 man JOINT SENATE/COUNCIL PANEL. Council shall then add 3 of her nembers
3. The panel shall investigate and then report to Council. Senate observed that Council did not do this but instead used a Dogara committee report which had only 2 council members one adm/finance officer as the basis of indicting the VC who was not allowed to defend himself against any allegation
3. Senate also observed that Council meeting was defective in composition and procedure
4. Senate further rejects the purported appointment of an Acting VC . It was not based on procedure or past best practices.