✝️🔎TOPIC: FAITH ALONE
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: Romans 4:1-12(NKJV)
1. What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2. For if Abraham was justified by works, he has [something] to boast about, but not before God.
3. For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”
4. Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.
5. But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6. just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7. “Blessed [are those] whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
8. Blessed [is the] man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin.”
9. [Does] this blessedness then [come] upon the circumcised [only,] or upon the uncircumcised also? For we say that faith was accounted to Abraham for righteousness.
10. How then was it accounted? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised.
11. And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which [he had while still] uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also,
12. and the father of circumcision to those who not only [are] of the circumcision, but who also walk in the steps of the faith which our father Abraham [had while still] uncircumcised.
The Jews asked Jesus what they should do to work the works of God. For them, the works of God may be the keeping of all the laws of Moses, which in themselves, are holy. The ‘works’ appeared in plural showing also their thinking of ‘doing’ something to earn God’s commendation or in that case, Jesus’ approval. Jesus gave the primary work which is to believe in Him as the Messiah. Our text therefore talks of the procedure for our walk with God, with respect to salvation. It is not first a work – as to justify a blessing – but of faith, to receive that which is not merited. We are thus saved through faith unto good works.
Sinners by works alone, cannot qualify to receive God’s
justification. So we believe God’s promises in Christ Jesus, just as Abraham did. He believed God and it was counted unto him as righteousness. So God imputes righteousness to us, the forgiveness of our sins, not by what we do but by our faith alone. The message of grace through faith is always a problem to many. Some feel giving, service, spiritual exercises, fellowship, and good deeds will save them. No! Faith alone in God’s finished work of salvation in Christ brings salvation.
O Lord, open the eyes of my understanding so as to see through the eyes of faith all You have kept for me in Jesus Christ, so that believing in Him, I shall be saved. Help my faith, Lord.