✝️🔎TOPIC: LAYING ASIDE DISTRACTIONS
WATCH TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
✝️📖TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 20:1-9(NKJV)
1. “When you go out to battle against your enemies, and see horses and chariots [and] people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God [is] with you, who brought you up from the land of Egypt.
2. “So it shall be, when you are on the verge of battle, that the priest shall approach and speak to the people.
3. “And he shall say to them, ‘Hear, O Israel: Today you are on the verge of battle with your enemies. Do not let your heart faint, do not be afraid, and do not tremble or be terrified because of them;
4. ‘for the LORD your God [is] He who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.’
5. “Then the officers shall speak to the people, saying: ‘What man [is there] who has built a new house and has not dedicated it? Let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man dedicate it.
6. ‘Also what man [is there] who has planted a vineyard and has not eaten of it? Let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man eat of it.
7. ‘And what man [is there] who is betrothed to a woman and has not married her? Let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man marry her.’
8. “The officers shall speak further to the people, and say, ‘What man [is there who is] fearful and fainthearted? Let him go and return to his house, lest the heart of his brethren faint like his heart.’
9. “And so it shall be, when the officers have finished speaking to the people, that they shall make captains of the armies to lead the people.
Attaining freedom is to fight for it. Fighting battles however, needs full concentration and dedication all distractions must be dealt with or avoided. So, in the Israeli army, there are laws of exemption from military service to avoid casualties. Some of these laws are listed in verses 5 to 8. These laws and warnings are necessary so that no man would be thinking of his newly acquired possessions in the battle and lose his life. In addition, the loss of a soldier in a battle field does not only affect the immediate family but also reduces the capacity of the nation. So, all necessary measures must be taken to guard against loss.
The Christian race is a battle for the salvation of our souls and eternity we are to lay aside all distractions! The writer of Hebrew makes this clear in chapter 12:1. There are many distractions and temptations in the Christian race worldly pleasures, possessions, unnecessary doctrinal controversies and divisions. All these have taken the position of Christ away from most Christians today, making them lose their focus concerning eternity, on daily basis. We should therefore reposition our faith and put off all distractions and temptations.
Father, give me the Spirit of discernment to identify distractions and pitfalls in my Christian race in Jesus Name.