WATCH THE DISCUSSION VIA THIS LINK BELOW 👇🏽
6th Sunday after Trinity July 11, 2021
Family and covenant with the living God (9)
THE BANE OF GODLY FAMILY—HATRED
TEXT: GEN. 4:3-8
1. To define hatred in the context of godly family,
2. To help us understand the destructive power of hatred in a godly family and
3. To suggest some ways to curb hatred in society
Hatred is a feeling of strong antagonism and dislike. It is the sin that led to many atrocities committed in the world, past and present. Cain, the first child in the first family displayed potent hatred that finally led him to murder his brother Abel. Seeing the potential of hatred in this text, what are the factors responsible for this and how can we as Christians overcome this powerful destroyer of mankind?
1. What is hatred and what are its causes in today’s world? (Gen 4:3-8)- Reference: Est 3:5; Dan 3:19; Mark 6:18-19.
2. Carefully explain the destructive power of hatred in the following Bible passages: Est 3:5-6; Dan 3:19; Acts 23:12
3. What virtues can help us overcome hatred in the society? 1Samuel 26:8-9; Pr 17:9; 1Pe 4:8.
4. What are the Biblical injunctions for overcoming hatred? Lev 19:17; 1 John 2:9-11; 1John3:15;
No matter what happens in our families (nuclear or extended), we are to love unconditionally and not hate one another. The practice of humility and forgiveness should be genuine in Christian families in order to produce a society devoid of hatred.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
Love builds family and society; hatred destroys them.
1John 3:15 “Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him”.